The NIE is the short name of Número de identificación de Extranjero (Foreigner’s Identification Number), for most of you is a familiar word. However the new foreigns who come to buy a house or do some legal activity in Spain, is something important that they have to know.
First of all, what is the NIE? It is the legal number assigned by the Spanish National Police to foreign residents who don’t have Spanish citizenship. In this way, they can carry out legal activities in Spain.
What are the legal activities that we said belong? Here you will find some of them:
- Open a bank account
- Buying or selling property
- Buying or selling motor vehicle
- Paying taxes in Spain
- Being legally employed
- Becoming self-employed
- Registering a business
- Studying in Spain
- Getting a Spanish driver’s licence…
You can apply for the NIE while you are living or visiting Spain to the relevant Spanish National Police Station, you will find in Cartagena or Torrevieja. Otherwise, if you have a lawyer service in Spain, you can authorize them holding a Spanish power of attorney.
When you go to the National Police Station, you need to ask about the requirements, because they can vary from one office to another. Anyway, the general requirements should be:
- NIE application form . You can find it in the Ministerio de Exteriores website (EX 15 Form) and click here to get the translation. Remember that you have to give the Spanish form.
- Original current Passport and one photocopy
- Two small potos
- Government fee (€10.71 in 2018). The payment would be done by bank using a 790 form (click here)
The last thing, remember that the NIE is not the same for the patron. The last one is the Spain’s population register. If you want to read more about these issues click here.