From January 31, 2020, the United Kingdom will definitely be outside the European Union. 2020 will be a year of transition for all Britons and also for the rest of Europeans, and regarding driver’s licenses it will be no less.


Since January 2020, Brexit is already official, and the British driver’s licenses that are valid and in force have a driving license in Spain until December 31, 2020.


As of January 1, 2021, the general regulations on premises of third countries, that is, non-EU countries, shall apply to the holders of said British permits. The permits that the United Kingdom enables after this date will be valid for 6 months in Spain from the moment the person visits Spain.


What do I have to do if I want to reside in Spain?


Britons who want to reside in Spain will have to apply for the exchange of third countries, and … How do you apply?


1.You will have to request an appointment through the application for the webside of exchanges from third countries, making sure that you request the option “Canjes de permiso de conducción”


2.If your country answers affirmatively, you will need to present at the Jefatura that you have chosen the following information:


Identification: DNI, valid residence card or passport.

Residence accreditation: in this case the current residence card.

Official form of your address in Spain.

The foreign driving license to be exchanged in force.

Number or proof of payment of having paid the corresponding fee of € 28.30

– Report of psychophysical aptitude.

Current original photograph of 32x26mm in colour with plain background.


You can find this information and other points of interest on the DGT website.